The 10 Best Electric Generator For Home Use Of 2023
Our Top Picks
1. Best Overall: Westinghouse 12500 Watt Dual Fuel Home Backup Portable Generator
Westinghouse's 12500 Watt Dual Fuel Home Backup Portable Generator provides 9500 running watts and 12500 peak watts of power for use with gasoline or propane gas. The generator includes an electric start, as well as a recoil start for emergency situations. This generator also features an LCD display with a battery charge indicator and low-oil shutdown protection.
2. Best Bang For The Buck: DuroMax XP12000EH Generator-12000 Watt Gas or Propane
Whenever you need power, the DuroMax XP12000EH is your ultimate go-to. With 12,000 starting watts and 9,500 running watts, this generator can handle heavy loads from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools. And with its EPA and CARB approval for use in all 50 states, you can count on the XP12000EH to be there for you whenever it's needed.
3. Best Portable: Champion Power Equipment Dual Fuel Portable Generator
Champion Power Equipment Dual Fuel Portable Generator is a powerful generator that starts automatically with electric start and also has the option to run on gasoline or propane. A Volt Guard surge protector prevents overloads.
4. Best Powerful: Westinghouse 7500 Watt Home Backup Portable Generator
Westinghouse 7500 Watt Home Backup Portable Generator is perfect for power outages, camping trips and recreation. The 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine runs smoothly and offers long-lasting cast iron sleeves with automatic low oil shutdown for peace of mind.
5. Best Compact: DuroStar DS4000S Portable Generator
The DuroStar DS4000S is a portable generator that makes it easy to power all of your appliances, no matter how big or small. The powerful 208cc OHV engine provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy duty power tools. With a durable design and wide range of features, this generator is the perfect tool for home or commercial use.
If you live where power outages are common, or if you need a backup power source for your home in case of an outage, then an electric generator is the perfect solution. Generators come in various sizes and applications, but the best options for home use are smaller units that can run on gasoline or natural gas as a fuel source. Gasoline generators tend to be more compact and easier to maintain than their diesel counterparts, which makes them ideal for home use.
A generator is essentially an engine that runs on electricity instead of gasoline. In most homes, excess electricity from lights, sockets, and appliances gets sent back into the grid as waste heat. An electric generator reverses this flow of electrons to create its supply of power. Below is a list of the best electric generators for home use.
We think the best electric generator for home use is Westinghouse 12500 Watt Dual Fuel Home Backup Portable Generator; with that, you will have no difficulty finding anything to meet your needs! To help you find the best fit for your needs, We've created a purchasing guide and shown other great options for you to consider.
RELATED: The best quiet generator for 2023 is the top product. We've compiled reviews and ratings for the best quiet generators on the market.
Our Top Picks
Easy to operate with an electric start Sturdy structure Designed with Automatic Low Oil Shutdown Easy to pour fuel into the machine
It is hard to start up an HVAC
- Features Two GFCI 120V 5–20R Standard Household Receptacle, One Transfer Switch Ready 120V L14-30R, and One RV Ready 120/240V 14–50R; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
- 9500 Running Watts and 12500 Peak Watts (Gasoline); 8500 Running Watts, 11200 Peak Watts (Propane); Remote Start With Included Key Fob, Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 12 Hours of Run Time on a 6. 6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Powered by a Heavy Duty 457cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve With Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter. VFT display gives you real time updates with the voltage output, frequency, and lifetime hours
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed by 3-Year Limited Service, Labor, and Parts Coverage with Nationwide Customer Service Network
- Plug-and-Play: Comes With a Remote Start Key Fob, 12V Battery Charger, Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
Best Bang For The Buck
DuroMax XP12000EH Generator-12000 Watt Gas or Propane
Powerful motor It is safe to use It creates power enough for electric devices Easy to set up
It is pretty heavy
- Powerful DuroMax Engine: the XP12000EH is powered by a DuroMax, 457cc OHV engine.
- Please read the detailed safety instructions in the manual before operating.
- Plenty of power: with 12,000 starting watts and 9, 500 running watts, This unit can handle heavy loads from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.
- Powering everyone anywhere: like all DuroMax generators, the XP12000EH is EPA and CARB approved For use in all 50 States.
- Engine Type: 4-Stroke
- With Gasoline : Peak Wattage - 12,000., Running Wattage - 9,500., Running Amperage at 120V - 79.17., Running Amperage at 240V - 39.58., Runtime at 25% Load - 19., Runtime at 50% Load - 8
- With Propane : Peak Wattage - 11,400., Running Wattage - 9,025., Running Amperage at 120V - 75.21., Running Amperage at 240V - 37.6., Runtime at 25% Load - 14., Runtime at 50% Load - 7
- Maximum power: with DuroMax MX2 technology, get the maximum power from each of the 120 volt receptacle. Choose between operating the generator at both 120 V and 240 V Simultaneously, or at 120 only with full power.
- Dual fuel technology: the ability to run on propane or gasoline allows the freedom and flexibility of fuel choice. Protects your investment by automatically shutting the generator off when it senses that the oil is low
Easy to connect to electric devices Solid handle Easy to control power output Recharge the battery quickly
It causes noise when working
- INTELLIGAUGE: Keep track of voltage, hertz and run-time hours to easily monitor power output and track maintenance intervals
- CHAMPION SUPPORT: Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
- Gasoline Starting Amps at 120V: 78.1A.Gasoline Starting Amps at 240V:35.1A.Gasoline Running Amps at 120V:62.5A.Gasoline Running Amps at 240V:31.3A
- ELECTRIC START: Power up the 439cc Champion engine with the handy rocker switch, battery included
- POWERFUL: At 9375 starting watts and 7500 running watts on gasoline and 8400 starting watts and 6750 running watts on propane, trust Volt Guard built-in surge protector to prevent overloads
- DUAL FUEL: Operate your 7500-watt portable generator right out of the box on either gasoline or propane, plus the unit holds 1.2-quarts of oil (included) and has a low oil shut-off sensor
The motor runs quietly and smoothly Easy to control by remote Easy to restart Easy to hold the handle
The automatic choke sometimes gets in trouble
- 6000 Running Watts and 7500 Peak Watts; Electric and Recoil Start; Up to 13 Hours of Run Time on a 6. 6 Gallon Fuel Tank With Fuel Gauge
- Plug-and-Play Comes With Oil, an Oil Funnel, a Tool Kit, and a User’s Manual to Get You Started Right Out of the Box (Minimal Assembly Required)
- All Westinghouse Portable Generators are Functionally Tested in the Factory and May Contain Minimum Residual Oil and/or Fuel Odor; EPA and CARB Compliant; Backed By 3-Year Limited Service, Labor, and Parts Coverage and Nationwide Customer Service Network
- Powered by a 420cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine Featuring a Long-Lasting Cast Iron Sleeve With Automatic Low Oil Shutdown and Digital Hour Meter
- Features Two GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) 5–20R 120V Household Duplex Receptacle and One Transfer Switch Ready L14-30R 120/240V Twist-Lock Receptacle; All Outlets Have Rubber Covers for Added Safety
Lightweight and compact design Convenient long cord Equipped with an automatic turn-off function High compatibility
Working time is pretty short
- Powerful Engine – The DuroStar 208cc OHV engine is a workhorse that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy duty power tools
- Power Panel – The power panel includes a selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications including: 2 120V household outlets and 1 120V 30A twist lock outlet. The panel also includes a voltmeter for measuring voltage output
- Low Oil Shutoff – Protects your investment by automatically shutting the generator off when it senses that the oil is low
- Complies with Emissions Standards – All DuroStar generators are both approved by the EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) and CARB (California Air Resources Board) and follow strict guidelines to ensure our generators are as environmentally friendly as possible
- Plenty of Power – With 4,000 peak watts and 3,300 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools
Easy to control oil Easy to carry everywhere thanks to foldable handles It runs quietly Nice and compact design
Sometimes, it is difficult to start up
- 223cc engine provides 4,750 surge watt and 3,750 rated watt
- Includes wheel kit and foldable handles for easy transport
- CARB and EPA III meet requirements for sale in all 50 states
- Features electric start, low-oil shutdown, an automatic voltage regulator and overload protection to maximize safety
- Digital readout helps manage oil changes and maintenance schedule
Best Easy To Assemble
Pulsar G12KBN Heavy Duty Portable Dual Fuel Generator
Easy to charge the battery Easy to clean after using The machine is powerful User-friendly design
When operating, it is pretty noisy
A 8 gallon fuel tank gives you up to 12 hours of continuous operation at half load when running on gasoline
Convenient drop-down handles and 10” never-flat wheels for added mobility and easy storage
Complete with low oil shut-off, 3-in-1 digital meter, and automatic voltage Regulation for less worry and hassle
Includes propane hose & backed by a 1 Year limited
(4) 120V 20A AC outlets, (1) 120V/240V 30A twist-lock outlet, (1) 120V/240V 50A outlet, (1) 12V DC output provide ample space for powering appliances, tools, and other devices
The 457cc, single cylinder, 4-stroke, air cooled, OHV engine with electric start is protected by a durable powder coated frame
12, 000 peak watts/ 9, 500 Rated watts (gasoline) & 10, 800 peak watts/ 8, 550 Rated watts (LPG)
Dual fuel capability allows you to choose between gasoline & LPG fuel sources; great for emergency situations or natural disaster as LPG may be more readily available and easy to store
- Includes 3-year limited warranty with FREE lifetime technical support from dedicated experts
- Start and stop with ease from up to 80 feet away with the included wireless remote key fob – push-button power and convenience like never before
- 120V 30A locking, 120V 30A RV and two 120V 20A outlets and Volt Guard built-in surge protector prevents overloads and keeps your appliances and equipment safe
- At 4375 starting watts and 3500 running watts, enjoy up to 12 hours of run time on a full tank of gasoline with a noise level of 68 dBA from 23 feet
- Trust the reliable 208cc Champion engine with its battery-included electric start featuring a 3-way ignition switch, plus built-in Cold Start Technology for easy starts in cold weather
Ergonomically designed padded handle
Power when you need it most. The H08051 Hybrid Dual Fuel portable generator is there to get the job done. Best used for emergency power, jobsite, farm/ranch, large RV’s and buses
Durable Compact Tubular Roll Cage Frame Design
Frequency (Hz): 60
Dual fuel versatility
No hassle easy to use 5.5Ft LP (propane) hose
Delivers true 30A & 50A power
Electric start | 8 gallons 12 hours
Dimensions: 29.9" L x 27.5" W x 26.1" H
Best Easy To Use
Briggs & Stratton ELITE7000 7000W Portable Generator
Long 9 Hour Run Time (at 50% Load) - A metal 7 gallon fuel tank for more durability and less refueling.
Multi-Featured Control Panel With Circuit Breaker Protection - Includes four GFCI 120 V household outlets and one 120/240V 30A locking outlet to power more essentials in your home, plus rubber outlet covers protect against the elements.
Briggs & Stratton Engine (420cc) - For long life, high performance, and great fuel efficiency when using your portable generator.
Easy, All-Terrain Maneuverability - Featuring large 12” Never Go Flat wheels and a fold-up handle.
Key Electric Start and Remote Choke - For quick and easy starting right from the control panel.
What to Look For in a best electric generator for home use?
However, this number does not represent the entire picture. Wattage is made up of three parts: power needed to turn on an appliance and power required to maintain it running. It also includes power necessary to sustain a power surge, which is when regular juice returns to normal and all appliances start to work again. Many appliances use more power for startup than their run energy consumption. You could overload your generator when you turn on appliances and other devices. If the generator can't provide enough power, it could overload. You need to know how many watts your generator can generate, depending on whether it is powering just one item or the whole house.
An increase in generator costs is generally associated with a higher wattage. Most people agree that it's better to have enough power than not to be able to run your fridge or keep cool by a fan.
Be aware that the clearance between your home and generator may be determined by local codes or model specifications. A small generator may require only 18 inches of clearance.
The majority of portable generators run on gasoline and can generally keep fridges and lights running for several hours. These generators can't be relied upon for long-term power backups, such as when there is no electricity for several days.
Propane and natural gas are used more often for large home-standby generators. These fuels can be used for larger home standby generators as they are cleaner-burning and offer on-demand power.
Solar or battery-powered power sources are an alternative to traditional fuel-powered generators. These machines have different capabilities, and their run time can vary widely. However, they might be the best match for you if your power requirements are less than minimal. They are typically used for camping only, not home.
Certain warranties may also include travel expenses for technicians to visit the generator and fix it. However, this depends on which manufacturer you are using.
RELATED: The most efficient generators for every need and budget, based on over 5,564 reviews from former users.
Can I Use The Generator During Inclement Weather?
Although you can use your generator in any weather or temperature, protect it from the elements whenever it is not being used to stop it from shorting out and rusting. It is not recommended to run the generator indoors.
Where Is The Best Place To Put Your Home Generator?
Natural gas generators do not produce as much fumes than natural gas ranges. Gasoline-powered generators can produce carbon monoxide exhaust fumes, which is why it's important to select the ideal location. These are the reasons why utility companies and local codes often have specific requirements for placement.
A generator should generally be located at least 5ft from any windows or doors. While some generators are able to be mounted as close as 18inches from the house, it is still important that the generator is at least 5ft away from any air intake areas on the property.
It is not advisable to use portable generators in an indoor environment, such as a garage. This type of generator is best placed outdoors, away from windows and doors.
How Do You Safely Run A Home Generator?
A whole-home generator or standby generator must be connected to a switch. This disconnects your circuit panel and the electrical grid, allowing power to flow through the circuits from the generator.
You must manually start the power transfer for portable generators. These products have different safety requirements.
What Regular Maintenance Should Be Performed On A Home Generator?
You should get basic maintenance information from the manufacturer of any generator that you buy. However, most generator models will work fine if you follow these guidelines.
Run the generator at least 30 minutes per month or perform a weekly self test
When storing a gasoline-powered generator, add fuel stabilizer.
Regular oil changes are a must for your generator.
Does The Portable Generator Need To Be Grounded?
Yes. It is important that the generator be correctly grounded in order to protect your safety. The generator must be grounded properly to avoid electrocution. Grounding is a subject matter that must be adhered to by all authorities, federal and state.
Can I Vent The Exhaust Out Of An Enclosed Area?
No. The generator should not be used in enclosed areas or homes. The portable generators can only be run outdoors where there is adequate ventilation. As with all gasoline engines exhaust, generators contain poisonous carbon monoxide.
It's challenging to determine the greatest product while deciding what to buy. We wanted to help you narrow things down by offering a list of best electric generator for home use above so you can make a better-educated decision before purchasing anything that might never work for you.
Would any of these ideas strike a chord with you? If that's the case, keep these in mind before making any purchases! You may also look into Champion Power Equipment Fuel Portable Natural Gas Generator to find another option that is a good fit for you.
READ NEXT: The Best Portable Camping Toilets For 2023