Picking Up Best Axes For Splitting Wood Of 2024: A Complete Guide
Our Top Picks
1. Best Overall: Fiskars 378841-1002 X27 Super Splitting Axe 36 Inch, 36-Inch, Black
The Fiskars X27 Super Splitting Axe is a tough, sharp axe designed to take on even the toughest jobs. The hard, forged steel blade stays sharper longer than traditional axes and advanced bevel convex design splits efficiently and makes the blade easier to remove from wood. With its included sheath, you can protect your axe when not in use; perfect for splitting and chopping wood, yard work, lawn cleanup, firewood.
2. Runner Up: WilFiks Chopping Axe, 15” Camping Outdoor Hatchet
WilFiks Camping Axe is made of durable stainless steel and features a fully polished blade. It has an ergonomic design that makes it easy to handle and holds its edge for long-lasting use. Ideal for chopping firewood, logs, kindling and branches up to 15 inches in diameter.
3. Best Powerful: Fiskars IsoCore Maul, 36-Inch (751110-1003)
Fiskars IsoCore Maul is a heavy-duty, powerful tool for the toughest of jobs. This riveted head tool is designed to be both sturdy and effective while also being lightweight. The optimized blade geometry offers better penetration and blasting tough logs apart, while the ergonomic design provides maximum power when swinging.
4. Best Quality: Fireside Friend Splitting Tool
The Fireside Friend Splitting Tool is a powerful, durable and comfortable axe with a shock reduction grip. The weighted blade is specifically designed for splitting, even when the hardest of logs are in hand. This high-quality tool protects your hands from impact vibration which decreases fatigue and improves performance over long periods of time.
Splitting wood is an essential part of any homestead. It’s something you’ll need to do for a long time and it can get annoying sometimes because it just won’t split the way you want it to. That’s why we have come up with this guide and included some of the best axes for splitting wood as well as some helpful tips on how to split wood better.
Here, you will discover everything from what axes are best for splitting wood, splitting efficiency and safety concerns. In this article, we will discuss everything you must know before buying an ax for splitting wood - from different types of axes that fit different needs to whether or not it’s necessary to buy an expensive ax.
You'll have an easier time deciding with our Fiskars 378841-1002 X27 Super Splitting Axe 36 Inch, 36-Inch, Black recommendations. However, in order to provide the reader with a wider variety of alternatives, we recommend adding WilFiks Chopping Axe, 15” Camping Outdoor Hatchet if you are interested in purchasing another appealing one.
Here are the buying guides that we specially made for you guys. Follow all the words below for successful shopping!
RELATED: We examined pricing, extra features of each product, and more, before compiling this list of best american made axe for you to buy! Here's your chance to find out yours!
Our Top Picks
- Hardened forged steel blade stays sharper longer than traditional axes and advanced bevel convex design splits efficiently and makes the blade easier to remove from wood
- Included sheath protects the blade and user when not in use; Perfect for splitting and chopping wood, yard work, lawn cleanup, firewood
- Designed for splitting medium to large-sized logs, with maximum efficiency for more one-strike splits; Ideal for taller users
- Shock-absorbing handle with textured non-slip grip reduces hand strain, improves control and prevents overstrike damage
- Overall length: 36 inches, weight: 5.85 pounds; Included lifetime warranty
- ► DURABLE CONSTRUCTION: The Forged Carbon Steel Heat Treated blade which improves its density and makes the axe more durable produces smooth, sharp, and quick splits and stays sharp longer than traditional axes. You can count on this Hand Axe to deliver superior, long lasting performance.
- ► EASY STORAGE: The blade comes with a Rubber Protective Sheath for safe storage and transport. After use, simply apply the rubber protective cover and hang the Hatchet from the hole that is featured for easy and convenient storage.
- ► ERGONOMIC DESIGN: Our Hatched is Designed with a Shock Absorbing Anti Slip Grip, Cold Resistant Ergonomic Shaped Fiberglass Handle which will reduce the strain on your hand, resists slipping and adds comfort.
- ► RESHARPENABLE BLADE: The Chopping Blade features a fully Polished Finished Edge which can easily be resharpened with a file. The Weighted Wedge design makes chopping logs and firewood a breeze.The good balance between head and shaft creates a superior Camping Axe for safe, comfortable and efficient use.
- ► EASY TO USE: Our Wood Chopping Axe is designed for easy chopping Of Firewood, Logs, Kindling and Branches. The Optimized blade geometry is designed for maximum efficiency to give you more one-strike splits. Ideal for campers, hikers, outdoor activities, preparing wood for bonfires and garden work.
- Full lifetime. Forged, heat-treated steel is finished with a rust-resistant coating. Softgrip handle features a sculpted profile to fit the natural shape of your hand
- Ideal for splitting wood (splitting face) or driving wedges and stakes (driving face)
- Optimized blade geometry offers better penetration and blasts tough logs apart
- Inseparable riveted head will not slide down or snap off, even when swinging with maximum force
- Patented IsoCore Shock Control System absorbs strike shock and vibration to reduce the punishment your body takes, transferring 2X less shock and vibration than wood handles
- Built for performance and durability
- Crafted from the highest quality materials
- Made in United States
- [Outdoor Companion]: Handy, lightweight axe designed to chop logs, small trees and branches, cut firewood and kindling, yard landscaping and maintenance. Ideal for gardening, camping, bonfire preparation, carrying along for emergency situations in a hiking pack or vehicle, and pruning
- [Shock Eliminating Handle]: Sturdy fiberglass handle absorbs impact vibration, shaped for better leverage and comfort, and has non-slip, textured rubber for a firm and confident grip. Handle is brightly colored for easy identification and includes a hang hole for storing
- [Sharpened Carbon Steel]: Durably built to last with heavy duty usage. Anti corrosive coating to further protect against wear or rust. Polished blade is double sharpened and can easily be resharpened with a grit sharpener or file. Blade protector included
- [INTERTOOL has YOU Covered]: We are always available to quickly resolve any issue and answer to your needs. Our community is our #1 priority
- [Optimized Balance]: Head-to-handle weight distribution adds enhanced handling, swing speed, and splitting power. Less effort with more leverage
- Grade A American Hickory Handle - Linseed Oil Finish - 150 Grit Sanded Sustainably sourced grade A American hickory handle. All Helko Werk camping axes and hatchets have handles individually hand finished and selected for grain orientation and density with a boiled linseed oil finish and sanded to 150 grit for a comfortable and smooth finish on your axe handle
- Handmade In Germany - Our Classic Nordic Splitting Axe is a heavy duty, straight-handled splitting axe, designed solely for difficult splitting work. The 5 ½ pound head is capable of splitting large rounds, difficult logs, and tough firewood. For those facing a cold winter and in need of burning through a cord of wood, this axe will perform dutifully. It may not be the largest tool in the shed, but what it lacks in size it makes up for in efficiency.
- Ergonomic shock resistant fiberglass handle
- Lifetime Warranty - We guarantee this camp axe for life
- Sharp fine grain steel blade with weighted head for quicker chopping
- Heavy duty wood splitting maul for chopping firewood or kindling
- Rubber sheath included for safety
- Handmade in Germany - The Saxon Splitter is a heavy duty splitting axe, best reserved for large rounds and difficult logs. The Helko designed head delivers powerful strikes without getting stuck or pinched up in the wood. The Saxon has the splitting power of a maul, but has the balance, feel, and control of an axe. The small turnaround hook on the heel (bottom edge of the blade) can be used for log moving.
- C50 High Carbon Steel: : 53-56 HRC - Helko Werk axe heads are open-face drop forged individually by hand from German C50 high grade carbon steel. Drop forging is a process in which the blacksmith uses tongs to hold and shape hot steel as a drop hammer falls repeatedly onto it.
- VIKING HAND AXE：Vikings are famous for their adventurous life and courage to conquer along the way. This Viking battle axe features the design of the goddess. The total length is 13inch. For Viking warriors the bearded axe was the first choice.
- CLASSICAL LEATHER SHEATH: Leather Viking Axe Sheath is Full-Grain Leather, this Axe Sheath is sure to withstand the test of time, as well as stay vigilantly protective against sharp edges Durable and long lasting thick, Hand cut and finely hand stitched, Rivets with caps for safety, Perfect for protecting the sharp edge of your Viking Axe.
- WHAT YOU GET – You will receive 1 34-inch axe, 1 15-inch camping hatchet. Each outdoor splitting axe comes with our 1-month free refund & replacement warranty to ensure your shopping satisfaction and worry-free service for you!
- GREAT HELPER FOR LOG & FIREWOOD – KURUI camping axes & hatchets makes it easy for you to deal with solid wood, kindling, stems and twigs with high efficiency, serving as your ideal and reliable companion for gardening, camping, surviving, hiking, split wood and all other outdoor activities.
- ERGONOMIC DESIGN – The handle of KURUI splitting axe tool is covered with flexible TPR material for a better shock absorbing result. the black TPR handle is also of excellent resistance to slipping. The ergonomically designed proportion of the head and handle offers ultimate using comfort.
- MATERIAL WITH HIGH STRENGTH – Our splitting axe consists of a strong helve made of high-quality fiber glass material, which can effectively reduce the vibration while splitting wood, and a durable and high-strength axe head made of hardened carbon steel, which stays sharp longer that traditional axes. This durable 34" camp axes and 14" hatchets is built for a better using experience.
- EASY USE – When you receive this camping axe, you will find that it has already been sharpened, so you can directly use it for chopping wood easily; when you need to sharpen it, just use a sharpening stone and grind on the blade lightly.
What Are the Main Ways for Picking best axes for splitting wood, According to Our Experts?
Even during the shopping process, many things need to be considered. There are many different ways to access research material. Understand this. Our entire team is ready to lend you a hand, offer advice, and provide answers to your problems.
You should be able to access the best axes for splitting wood more easily with the tremendous rise of information sources. For you, our research ensures precision and objectivity thanks to our experts that work hard to get it.
Please follow the bellow points before selecting the best axes for splitting wood:
Handle Length And A Sturdy Grip
Safety and efficiency are also key factors. It shouldn't slip, or cause injury to you. To make life easier and safer, choose an axe/hatchet that has a grippy grip.
Non-slip materials such as rubber and wood are used to design the tail. The tail should be capable of withstanding humid conditions. You can even find axes that are specially made to improve grip and comfort by including patterns in the tail.
To make sure your axe fits you properly, it is best to try it out as soon as possible. Swing it with both hands and make a choice whether it is light/heavy/long/short/portable enough for what you need it for.
The Axe Head & The Blade
Flat edges will stick better to flat surfaces than those with sharper edges. You should think about the material you will be using most, and then choose a survival knife/survival hatchet that matches that material.
It is easy to sharpen a hatchet by running a file across its head and a whetstone. It is simple and inexpensive to replace the handle of a traditional hatchet. Your hatchet will be a valuable asset for the rest of your life as long as it is kept clean and protected from water.
Ease Of Splitting
Splitting is easier with longer handles and heavier heads. When shopping for similar models, be sure to consider the shape and construction of your handle.
If you are unsure about what you want, you can look into larger axes. You may find that some of the smaller camp hatchets are not what you want. In this case, you will need a full-sized, heavy-duty axe.
Thickness And Sharpness
It all comes down to the purpose of your axe. It's more practical to cut wood or do heavy carving in a survival situation than it is to make intricate carving.
Do I Need A Hatchet For Camping?
The hatchet is a highly-recommended survival and camping tool and one of most important tools. The oldest known human-made tool we have ever discovered is the "hand axe" made of stone, which dates back more than a million years. They are technically called hatchets. A hatchet can be your friend for woodwork and fire preparation even if you don't plan on carrying a chainsaw.
What Is The Best Camping Hatchet?
The individual as well as the intended purpose of the hatchet are the most important factors in choosing the right camping hatchet. While some companies have an excellent reputation, it is almost impossible to find the best camping hatchet that suits everyone.
You should prioritize your needs and priorities, then weigh the pros and cons of each option. It may be that your best choice for camping is not the one for your partner.
Are Hatchets And Tomahawks The Same Thing?
Although tomahawks and hatchets look very much the same, tomahawks have a more emphasis on lightweight and throwing. Hatchets are heavier, more concerned with chopping wood and less about striking a target.
How Do I Choose Between A Hatchet And An Axe?
It all comes down to space. A hatchet is more effective than an axe if it can be kept in a garage or car. A hatchet is a great option for those who travel by foot and need to have a lot of power, but are limited on space.
What Is A Hatchet Good For?
Hatchets can be used for a variety of purposes depending on their shape or construction. They are most commonly used for cutting and splitting small sections of wood. The diameter of a Hatchet's forearm is approximately the same as that of a normal forearm, but slightly larger.
Because of their small size, hatchets make excellent tools to perform more complex bushcraft tasks. These tools are ideal for creating shelters, carving woodwork projects and other tasks. If you don't have a field dressing knife after a hunt, hatchets can be used to cut through bone or cartilage.
How Do I Sharpen A Hatchet?
While everyone will have their preferred method of sharpening the hatchet, it is very much like sharpening knives. You might have to file the edges depending on the condition of the blade.
In general, it's difficult to say who creates the best axes for splitting wood since each firm has unique qualities, features, and pricing points that set them apart from the competition. We only suggest products from the most outstanding manufacturers on our site, so you can rest assured about their quality.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you require assistance with your problems. Wish you a happy shopping!